Cycling stuff.....some running too.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Sunday Solo Ride

I rode by myself today. I did about 40 miles. I used it as another opportunity to work on spinning. I was successful and it was/is painful. Spinning is not nearly as efficient as pushing a big gear. It might be a glitch in how a power meter actually works. A Power Tap has a strain guage inside that measures torque. It then makes calculations based on speed. I noticed that going at a constant rate I could shift to a lower gear and it took more watts to maintain the same speed. I know you can produce higher torque with a lower gear so maybe thats the answer. Speed takes horsepower not torque. A Harley as tons of torque but can it keep up with any other motorcycle? I think not. Can a Harley pull a stump out? No because Harleys aren't good for anything except emptying the pockets of fat guys. A tractor can pull out a stump because tractors are high torque machines. I digress. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as I'm no as efficient at high revs.

Here are my numbers: Average Watts=183 Average Cadence=96 Average Speed:( =19 Average Heart Rate 153

It's almost nice being out of shape. The improvements are so quick and noticable. When I'm in top form it takes weeks to see even the smallest difference and that is only after concerted effort. I'd honestly rather be there than here. I know what the trip is like and there's a lot of pain between here and there.

1 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

The frustrating thing for me is that once I get there it doesn't seem like I'm ever there for very long. Something always happens - illness, overtime or just life.

8:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home